Australia - Media Releases
Privacy Commissioner publishes case notes 1 - 6 for 2009
5 May 2009
The Australian Privacy Commissioner, Karen Curtis, has published six new case notes:
- A v Medical Practitioner  PrivCmrA 1: Collection of personal information and access to personal information.
- B v Cleaning Company  PrivCmrA 2: Disclosure of personal information and the employee records exemption.
- C v Commonwealth Agency  PrivCmrA 3: Disclosure of personal information
- D v Finance Company  PrivCmrA 4: Improper listing of a payment default on an individual's consumer credit information file.
- E v Advertiser  PrivCmrA 5: Improper listing of a payment default on an individual's consumer credit information file.
- Own Motion Investigation v Medical Centre  PrivCmrA 6: Failure to keep sensitive personal information secure.
The complete case notes are available at http://www.privacyawarenessweek.org/paw/australia_casenotes.html.
Background: The Australian Privacy Commissioner publishes case notes of finalised complaints that are considered to be of interest to the general public. Cases chosen involve interpretation of the Privacy Act or associated legislation in new circumstances, illustrate systemic issues or illustrate the application of the law to a particular industry or subject area. The case notes are intended to offer a synopsis only and not to be a comprehensive account.
It is a function of the Commissioner to endeavour to resolve complaints by conciliation where appropriate. As a result, the outcome in any particular case will be affected by a number of factors, including the applicable law, the facts of the matter and the approach to the conciliation process taken by both the complainant and respondent.